2003

On December 31, the Rector, Prof. Kusmayanto Kadiman, formally established School of Business and Management (SBM) ITB to administer both the MBA and the undergraduate program.

The nomenclature “School” was chosen instead of “Faculty” to signify its autonomy. In the process, the MBA program which was initially run by the Faculty of Industrial Engineering, became part of the School of Business and Management, allowing it to have two programs; the undergraduate program and the MBA program. Since then, SBM ITB has been a pioneer of campus autonomy in ITB.

SBM ITB has full authority to make decision sat the strategic and operational level. At the strategic level, SBM ITB is authorized to initiate international relationships and to offer new study programs. Nevertheless, the programs must comply with regulations imposed by the Ministry of Education of Indonesia.

At the operational level, SBM ITB has been granted certain degrees of autonomy by ITB. In finance, SBM ITB has the authority to manage 70% of its tuition fees; the remaining 30% is retained by ITB. The availability of financial resources has enabled SBM ITB to develop its remuneration system to attract and retain exceptional faculty members and to recruit the professional staff necessary to maintain a high level of service.

SBM ITB is authorized to develop its own curriculum, to propose and subsequently run a new academic program, to manage all academic programs (within SBM ITB), and to develop as well as to implement the SBM ITB research agenda. Both at operational and academic levels, SBM ITB is aligned with the policies of the Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of Indonesia. For example, in promoting the development of faculty, SBM ITB has designed the remuneration system based on three academic activities: teaching, research, and community services (as the basis of higher education in Indonesia).This situation leads to faculty members balancing those three activities to increase their competence and to contribute to SBM ITB’s mission.

Further, the Rector appointed 10 faculty members of SBM ITB as founders with the responsibility of carrying out the vision, mission and strategy, as well as its curriculum design and distinctive teaching method.

These faculty members are:

  • Dr. Ir. Kuntoro Mangkusubroto, MSIE, MSCE
  • Ir. Budi Permadi Iskandar, MSP
  • Prof. Ir. Surna Tjahja Djajadiningrat, MSc., Ph.D
  • Prof. Dr. Ir. Jann Hidajat Tjakraatmadja, MSIE
  • Ir. Drs. Arson Aliludin, SE, DEA
  • Dr. Ir. Sudarso Kaderi Wiryono, DEA
  • Ir. Nurhajati Ma’mun, MSc.
  • Dr. Ir. Dermawan Wibisono, M. Eng
  • Dr. Ir. Utomo Sarjono Putro, M. Eng
  • Ir. Aurik Gustomo, MT